PLANT BASED PLASTICS: Repurpose – Plastic lasts forever, but Repurpose makes straws from plants — their products can be composted in 90 days. This is the first biodegradable bendy straw on the market and it launched this year at Expo West. Some of us have a need for our straws. We may not be able to explain it, but there is a satisfying element to drinking down a nice cold refreshing beverage with a straw. Unfortunately, straws are typically made from plastic, but now we can enjoy them without hurting the environment. In the last ten years we have produced more plastic than during the entire 20th century. Made with soy-based inks and BPA-free plastic, Repurpose is a sustainable tableware company you can be proud to bring out to any party. | CHECK OUT
Viewing entries tagged
In an ideal world, all fruits and veggies would be organic. But today most conventional farms use synthetic pesticides to control bugs and weeds, and those chemicals end up in and on our fruits and vegetables—even after washing and peeling. Not so ideal.
Scientists continue to debate the health risks of consuming pesticides, but we prefer to play it safe. So we go organic whenever it’s available and our wallets can take the hit. That means we have to make smart choices. Enter the Environmental Working Group.
Every year, the EWG ranks pesticide contamination of the most popular fruits and vegetables. The produce with the least amount of pesticides is known as the Clean Fifteen. These foods are safe to eat conventionally. The 12 with the most pesticide residue become the Dirty Dozen. These guys should always be organic.
- Sweet bell peppers
Spinach and Strawberry Salad
This is one of our go-to salads. It’s bright and flavorful and the pecans pack a protein-punch. Consider crumbling blue cheese over the top for a heartier meal.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 ounces organic baby spinach (8 cups)
- 1/2 pound organic strawberries, cut lengthwise into thick slices (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup pecan halves (3 1/2 ounces), toasted and cooled
1. Whisk together vinegar, a rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl, then add oil in a slow stream, whisking well. Put spinach, strawberries, and pecans in a large bowl and toss with just enough vinaigrette to lightly coat.
Repurpose is so excited to announce that renowned artist Andy Byers will be designing and unveiling a sculptural art piece made from materials including Repurpose plant-based products at the 2017 Natural Products Expo West trade show in Anaheim, March 9-11.
Byers is perhaps best known for his work with Isabella Rossellini on the short film series “Green Porno,” in which Rossellini enacts the mating rituals of various insects and other animals utilizing cardboard cut-outs and foam-rubber sculptures created by Byers. Byers has also done collaborative installations for brands such as Victoria's Secret, J Crew, American Express, Ann Taylor, Target, and Gap as well as artists Sean Lennon and Aimee Mann.
“Paper has always been an important material to work with because of its temporary nature,” said Byers. “I use paper by creating form and space with it. Once the art is completed and installation has served it purpose, the moment passes, never to be experienced again. Repurpose products tap into that intention of creation and use of what the earth provides us. I am proud to be creating something for people who carry such a passionate mission behind their brand.”
Byers will be creating an original piece inspired by the Repurpose mission to make products from plants. Featuring materials that make up Repurpose products and packaging, Byers will repurpose paper into a visual display of the products growing from his interpretation of larger than life plants. The display will be available for viewing at Repurpose’s Booth 5155 only during the run of the Expo West Convention.
In the U.S., annual trash from gift-wrap and shopping bags totals 4 million tons. From Thanksgiving to New Year's Day, household waste increases by more than 25%. Added food waste, shopping bags, packaging, wrapping paper, bows and ribbons all add up to an additional 1 million tons a week to our landfills (Source: EPA). Reduce your waste this year with our 7 eco-friendly tips for the holidays.
1. Send Electronic Greeting Cards
An estimated 2.6 billion holiday cards are sold each year in the United States, enough to fill a football field 10 stories high. Electronic holiday greeting cards, offered through a variety of websites, are a convenient, no-cost, waste-free alternative.
2. Use Energy-Saving Lights
Decorate your house with LED lights that use 90 percent less energy than conventional holiday lights, and can save your family up to $50 on your energy bills during the holiday season.
3. Recycle Your Christmas Tree
Each year, 10 million Christmas trees end up in the landfill. While your tree won’t fit in the recycling bin with your newspapers and bottles, you can recycle your tree: many cities offer programs to turn your tree to mulch or wood chips. Visit the National Christmas Tree Association to find the tree-recycling program near you.
4. Stuff Your Stockings With Yummy, Natural Treats
Stocking stuffers tend to be small, plastic trinkets that end up broken, lost or in the garbage by the end of January. Instead, fill your stockings with yummy, healthy treats like dried fruit, nuts, clementines and homemade holiday cookies.
5. Reduce Your Food Waste
At least 28 billion pounds of edible food are wasted each year - equating to over 100 pounds per person. Think about how many people you’re feeding and how much they’ll actually eat. If you plan on having leftovers, consider what you make with the left overs. Don’t fall for those “buy three get one free” traps, be realistic about how much you’ll need of something and compost food scraps.
6. Use Repurpose® 100% Plant-Based, Compostable Picnicware
Fossil-based plastics will not biodegrade. They are, however, photodegradable, which means that if they’re exposed to light, they will degrade into smaller and smaller pieces of plastic that are not only swallowed by marine creatures, but become embedded in the zooplankton, the very bottom of the food chain, and thereby poison our food with toxins. Repurpose® products are made from 100% plant-based resins, are toxin free and will break down in 90 days in a commercial composter. Best of all they have the same look and feel as the plates, cups, utensils and bowls you're used to - while still being eco-friendly.
7. Repurpose Repurpose!
If every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire planet (Source: CalRecycle). Use old newspapers and magazines as gift wrap. Snazz it up by making your own bows and ribbons. Try this simple bow tutorial with a Repurpose Hot Cup and Lid box.
Leave a comment on what you are #Thankful for on any of our #ThankfulGivaway Facebook post from now until Nov. 23rd for a chance to win a Repurpose filled picnic basket and $50 Amazon Gift Card. Winner will be announced on Thanksgiving Day!
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who sign up at the [https://www.facebook.com/repurpose] and who are [13 years of age or older] as of the date of entry. The Campaign is only open to legal residents of [United States], and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of [Repurpose, Inc.], its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”), and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of [Repurpose, Inc.] as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on [11/18/16, 11:42am PST] and ending [11/23/16, 12:00am PST]. All online entries must be received by [11/23/16, 12:00am PST].
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided at [https://www.facebook.com/repurpose]. The entry must fulfill all Campaign requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of [Repurpose, Inc.]. Optional verbiage to include: You may enter only once per post. You must provide the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities, or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules. If You use fraudulent methods or otherwise attempt to circumvent the rules, your submission may be removed from eligibility at the sole discretion of [Repurpose, Inc.].
5. Prizes: The Winner(s) of the Campaign (the “Winner”) will receive [$50 Amazon Gift Card, Repurpose 12oz 12 ct Hot Cups and Lids - $4.99, Repurpose 16 oz 20 ct bowls - $3.79, Repurpose 9" 20 ct plates - $3.79, Repurpose 6" 20 ct plaes - $1.99, Repurpose 12oz 20 ct Cold Cups - $3.99, Picnic Basket. Approximate retail value $98]. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by [Repurpose, Inc.]. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted except at [Repurpose, Inc.'s] discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for [Repurpose, Inc.] to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected by [a random drawing or by community vote] under the supervision of [Repurpose, Inc.]. Winner will be notified by [email, telephone, Facebook message.)] within five (5) days following selection of Winner. [Repurpose, Inc.] shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within [50 days] from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT [Repurpose, Inc.]‘S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content (e.g., photo, video, text, etc.), You understand and agree that [Repurpose, Inc.], anyone acting on behalf of [Repurpose, Inc.], and [Repurpose, Inc.]’s licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent. Optional verbiage for Contests: By entering this content, You represent and warrant that your entry is an original work of authorship, and does not violate any third party’s proprietary or intellectual property rights. If your entry infringes upon the intellectual property right of another, You will be disqualified at the sole discretion of [Repurpose, Inc.]. If the content of your entry is claimed to constitute infringement of any proprietary or intellectual proprietary rights of any third party, You shall, at your sole expense, defend or settle against such claims. You shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless [Repurpose, Inc.] from and against any suit, proceeding, claims, liability, loss, damage, costs or expense, which [Repurpose, Inc.] may incur, suffer, or be required to pay arising out of such infringement or suspected infringement of any third party’s right.
9. Terms & Conditions: [Repurpose, Inc.] reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond [Repurpose, Inc.]’s control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, [Repurpose, Inc.] may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by [Repurpose, Inc.]. [Repurpose, Inc.] reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. [Repurpose, Inc.] has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, [your company name]reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless [Repurpose, Inc.] and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS Campaign IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF [United States] AND [California], WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in [California] having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
12. Winners List: To obtain a copy of the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules, mail your request along with a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: [Repurpose, Inc.] [525 S Hewitt Street] [Los Angeles] [California]  [US]. Requests must be received no later than [11/25/16 11:42am PST].
13. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is [Repurpose, Inc.] [525 S Hewitt Street] [Los Angeles] [California]  [US].
14. Facebook: The Campaign hosted by [Repurpose, Inc.] is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Facebook.
Repurpose is excited to introduce the Amazon Dash Button for Repurpose. Dash Button is available to Amazon Prime members and allows easy reordering of Repurpose products with just the press of a button. Dash Button is simple to set up. Use the Amazon shopping app on your smartphone to easily connect the Dash Button to your home Wi-Fi network and then select the Repurpose product you want to reorder. Once connected, a single press of Dash Button automatically places your order with Prime free shipping. Now you can go green every day with our non-toxic, compostable, plant-based picnicware in your cupboards or office. Grab yours today! Welcome to a Cleaner World. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LBOMBO6
- 2 cups organic milk? (or your favorite non-dairy alternative)
- 2 tablespoons organic canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoons organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract?
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice ?(or make your own combination using cinnamon,nutmeg and allspice)
- 1-2 shots espresso (or 1/2 cup of strong brewed organic coffee)
1. In a saucepan combine milk, pumpkin and sugar. Cook the mixture on medium heat and stir until steaming.
2. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and spice, and then transfer to a blender and process for 15 seconds until the mixture is foamy. If you don’t have a blender, don’t worry about it—just use those muscles and whisk the mixture with a wire whisk until it froths.
3. Pour your tasty brew into a large mug or two mugs (if you feel like sharing). Then add the espresso or coffee.
Optional: Top your coffee with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg or cinnamon on top.