This Halloween we're bringing attention to the amount of plastic we use in our daily lives. Although we try our best to be #plasticfree, the Repurpose team was still able to create a life size monster out of the amount of plastic we collected around our homes and offices.
What's the problem with plastic?
- 91% of Plastic Isn't Recycled.
- More than 8 million tons of plastic is dumped into our oceans every year.
- Over the last ten years we have produced more plastic than during the whole of the last century.
- According to the Environmental Protection Agency, over 380 billion plastic bags, sacks and wraps are consumed in the U.S. each year.
- It can take 450 years for some types of plastic bottle to break down; one type, PET, while recyclable, doesn’t biodegrade at all.
How to help
Here's some simple tips to use less plastic.
- Choose Repurpose 100% compostable, plant-based picnicware over plastic and styrofoam.
- Use a reusable produce bag. A single plastic bag can take 1,000 years to degrade.
- Buy boxes instead of bottles. Often, products like laundry detergent come in cardboard which is more easily recycled than plastic.
- Purchase food, like cereal, pasta, and rice from bulk bins and fill a reusable bag or container. You save money and unnecessary packaging.
- Bring your own container for take-out or your restaurant doggy-bag since many restaurants use styrofoam.